4.23.2009

mrs. morgan's caramel corn (make it in your microwave!)


I no longer have a microwave--long story. But the only thing I miss about having one is being able to make this delicious and 0h-so-easy recipe for caramel corn in a brown paper bag. Hope you get a chance to try it. I promise you won't be disappointed!

What you'll need:

4 quarts of popped popcorn (I pop 1/2 cup of kernels in my popcorn popper)

Combine:
1 cup brown sugar
1 stick of butter or margarine
1/4 cup white Karo Syrup
1/2 tsp. salt

Boil in microwave for 2 minutes (don't stir).
It must boil for 2 minutes.

Remove from microwave and add 1/2 tsp. baking soda. Stir.

Put popped popcorn in a brown paper bag.
Pour syrup over popcorn, close bag and shake.

Microwave on high for 1 1/2 min.
Remove bag and shake.

Microwave on high for another 1 1/2 min.
Remove bag and shake.

Cool in a single layer on waxed paper.

6 comments:

~nanashouse~ said...

I, your mother, would love to hear the long story about the microwave!

And I remember this popcorn well. I used to bag it up in clear bags and add really pretty ribbon or raffia to give as gifts.

Pamela said...

I heart carmel popcorn. This sounds like an easy way to make it, and kid friendly. Sounds like alot less mess as well ~ bonus!!

American Homemaker said...

Mmmmm... I want some right now!

Diane said...

It looks delicious! Sorry to hear about your microwave :( Neither one of us had a microwave when we got married and we never got around to getting one. I've never missed it. (But, we might eat more popcorn if we had one!)

Jessica said...

I have this same recipe from my mom. It's great for the summer because it only involves the microwave. Yumm-O!!

The Kouba Family: Wesley, Katie, Gentry, Creed, and Baby Girl said...

wow, this brings back memories...did I ever help you make this? i remember helping erin many times! it's classic