7.03.2011

do you laugh?


"I am the happiest creature in the world...I am happier even than Jane; she only smiles, I laugh."

--Elizabeth Bennet, Pride and Prejudice

I'm studying the book of Proverbs right now, and I can't help but notice how many references there are to laughter and cheerfulness. It's no coincidence, I know, because every time I start one of these Bible studies, something always hits home and relates to my present circumstance.

Right now, we're buying and selling a house and moving to a new state--all with 4 children. I'm learning that it's absolutely necessary for me to keep a sense of humor. Otherwise it's so easy to despair when things don't go my way.

My kids need me to be happy right now. And not just a superficial happy with a fake smile. I mean real joy. Joy that can be found only in Jesus. I'll be 37 this month and you know what? He hasn't failed me yet. I wish I would've known this 10 years ago, because I probably would not have worried so much about the things that always work themselves out.

Here are a few verses that keep me going these days...


"A glad heart makes a happy face." Proverbs 15:13


"For the happy heart, life is a continual feast." Proverbs 15:15


"A cheerful look brings joy to the heart." Proverbs 15:30


"When the king smiles, there is life; his favor refreshes like a spring rain." Proverbs 16:15


"A cheerful heart is good medicine." Proverbs 17:22


Oh, and especially this one...


"She laughs without fear of the future." Proverbs 31:25




4 comments:

~nanashouse~ said...

I laugh because I can't help myself. I look around at the chaos of moving and losing a home and I laugh because I'm so excited to see what is to come. Daddy had a fire in our small fire pit on the deck and I was watching an I Love Lucy marathon. Yep...I laughed. My neighbors honked as they came home from a few days away and I laughed knowing I am a part of a new community.
The only thing left is to laugh at the bug bites all over my body. Sorry....I can only curse.

Kathy said...

Very encouraging comments, Jenny.

Anonymous said...

I am studying Joy in the word. Thanks for sharing this.

♥ Carrie Shan said...

Oh...I am so going to miss you. ♥ you girl. You have added so much to my life in just the small moments we shared.