1.29.2010

letters

not Dear Jenny, but Jenny Dear...I love this!

Are letters a thing of the past?

I love getting email from friends, but letters--there's just something about receiving a letter in the mail. Agreed?

Back in the day, I remember how much I enjoyed writing to the friends I met at summer camp--even more, I enjoyed receiving letters from these friends.

I met one particular friend about 20 years ago when I was in high school. We exchanged letters for years. I can still picture her handwriting. I don't think I would have this connection with her if we had emailed each other. Sadly, she passed away about 10 years ago. She died of Leukemia at the age of 30, leaving behind her young husband and a sweet baby boy. It literally broke my heart, but I love that I have sweet memories of exchanging letters with her.

One of my goals for this year is to be more intentional about letter writing. It's been on my mind for a few weeks.

Have I written any yet?

No.

But guess what I got in the mail today?

A sweet, two-page letter from a friend. It truly was the sweetest letter ever. It made me smile.

But I was smiling even before I opened the letter.

That's how happy letters make me.

8 comments:

Mrs. Kelley Dibble said...

I write a monthly, handwritten letter to each of my daughters (26 and 23 years old). Tomorrow is not promised to me, so I share personal stories and advice in the event that I never see them again. They treasure these gifts.

Bevy @ Treasured Up and Pondered said...

Can you believe that this post made me whell up in tears.... it's is so the same idea/intention/desire of my heart to do this MORE - write letters!! I've posted something like this (myself) awhile back and do you think I "got better at it"? I wish. Thanks for the encourgaging words and the heartfelt inspiration to hang in there and to keep writing.

I just sent a letter off to my sister the other day - and I was so appalled at my handwriting, which seemed to have changed, and I know it's because I'm out of practice. ;)

: : Love the music on your blog!!

ness said...

ahhh jenny, we are two peas in a pod when it comes to this! i love letter writing, it is such a lost art! it is so fun to get letters in the mail. the best part though, is keeping them and then looking at them 5, 10, 15 years later. I love reading "day in the life" letters that my grandma wrote when she was a young mom. these truly a precious. emails are good. but there is nothing like a letter! you can't hold or touch an email, or see its tattered yellow pages from years of being tucked away.

ps-i bet you smell old letters, am i right? thought so. ;)

Susan Holt Simpson said...

I had pen pals when I was young, and also enjoyed getting letters SO much! When my grandmother died and my grandpa was on his own, I used to send him a letter every week to keep him company. He's been in heaven for a few years now, but I sometimes still think, "I'll write that in my next letter to Grandpa!"

With email, hardly anyone sends real letters anymore - I miss it.

Tonya said...

I have the pleasure of living with my grandmother she just turned 87 in Janurary and she always takes the time to write letters to her friends and family, she has a very beautful and distinctive handwriting that i will always remember and cherish i especailly loved received her letters when i was away at college. or she will mention someone she used to know and say i used to write to them during the World War II. I just love all the memories!!

Cottage Mommy said...

I love this post Jenny....it makes me so sad about your friend. That is my greatest fear - probably any Mommy with young kids greatest fear. It is weird...I just signed up to raise money for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society through Team In Training - you may have heard about it through Andi...anyway, now I hear about people that have had it or have it everywhere. I guess that is how it works though and a good reminder that it's a needy and good cause. You have inspired me..I think I'll write a friend a letter today!

Kim G. said...

If you are looking for a penpal, would you consider me? I will be a good one. I promise.

maureenog said...

Letters are concrete, physical evidence that we wrote, we cared, we shared our thoughts and feelings. Emails are great, but ephemeral... Thank you for your inspiring post.

I saved almost all letters and notes from family and friends. There is a true delight in reading these years later and sharing them with our correspondents of long ago!