9.20.2011

kitchen dreaming

One more month until we get the keys to our new house! There are a few little {big} projects we'd like to do before moving in, so I've been dreaming away. I hate spending money, so we'll see how much of my dreaming becomes reality. The home was built in 1925. I can imagine the kitchen was as dreamy as anything, but it was "updated" to brown, orange, gold and maroon. I know, makes me cringe, too. So here are a few ideas that are spinning around in my head...

I can't decide if I want to remove the maroon wallpaper and paint the walls white or this soft, buttery yellow. What do you think?

My accent colors will be red and this tiffany blue/turquoise.
I'd like to change out or paint the dark brown cabinets to white in order to brighten up the room a bit. I also want to remove a couple of cabinet doors to expose my turquoise and red dishes.

The current countertops are a golden tile with thick grout. I would love to change it out with this milky white marble, but boy is it pricey!

The current flooring is a golden yellow ceramic tile with orange and brown flowers. I really like this tile, but I'm thinking it might be a little too busy for a kitchen. What do you think? It might look better in a bathroom--which leaves me searching for flooring ideas. Any thoughts?

I love this subway tile for the backsplash. Right now the countertop tile is extended up the wall for the backsplash.

And now for this little issue...

The house is brick, painted white on the outside. My husband said that when we remove the wallpaper, we could keep going and remove the plaster on the exterior wall and expose the brick on that one wall. I love this idea, but I'm wondering if it would go well with the bright yellow and white. I'd like to brighten up the kitchen and I'm wondering if the brick would be too dark. And would it look good with the white tile and white marble? Hmmm...

3 comments:

Bethany said...

Ooooh...fun...remodeling! It's fun to dream. I love the pale yellow for the walls. My last two kitchens were shades of yellow-loved them.

I love the subway tile for the backsplash and though I love the hexagon tile, I agree it could be busy. Maybe hardwood or laminate would warm it up a little since you'll have white cabinets and white backsplash.

Exposed brick is great, but I wonder if it will go with the red accents since the brick looks more rusty? Hard to say without seeing it in person. And again, may be a lot going on or it may be perfect.

Good luck on making your choices. Happy Home Dreaming!

Kim Allen said...

The colors are so alive! I love it. I love the look of marble, the downside is that it does tend to be finicky...stains, maintenance etc. When AJ and I did our kitchen we used soapstone and loved it. It has an oldworld feel to it and it so durable!! Lighting is a great way to increase the brightness in your kitchen...and the brick is so great too. I wonder if there is old wood under those floors? You can always strip them and clear coat it, or painted with a fun pattern and a clear coat on top of that.
Of course..everything is all a matter of opinion and I am sure it will be beautiful because it is all you. Have fun Jenny!

♥ Carrie Shan said...

I love the colors and the subway tiles. They are so you. I have had my eye on the new wood plank look ceramic or porcelain floor tiles they have now. You should google them. I love them. I am in love with exposed brick too...but not sure if it would go with the marble either. I do know that I can't wait to see the finished product. You are going to have some fun! :) Love ya Miss Jenny!!