8.20.2008

Co-op or Not?


Last night I attended a Home school Co-op meeting in town, because I'll be teaching my oldest son for Kindergarten this year. Several parents get together during the school year and offer their gifts and talents to the other families in the co-op and teach mini-classes once a week. You can imagine how vast the offerings might be from year to year. As I sat there reading through a list of sample classes, I couldn't think of any one thing that I excel in and could offer to teach to others. Some of these classes include: pottery, scrap booking, music, painting, auto mechanics, wood working, science, calligraphy, cake decorating, P.E., etc. I taught elementary school for several years, but that, by no means, is artsy and creative.

I have lots of interests and I piddle around here and there, but I guess I never stuck with anything long enough to have become really good it. Sorry, Mom, about the piano lessons, and the tap dance lessons, and the ballet lessons. :)

I believe God endows all of His children with special talents and abilities. I don't deny that He's given me specific gifts that I enjoy using for Him and sharing with others. But I wonder if I have been a good steward in cultivating these talents, and could I possibly teach a class on any of them? Hmmm...I'll have to think about this. I'd hate to join a co-op and not be able to participate!

8 comments:

emyann said...

You are an amazing research paper writing teacher! I've learned so much from you. I wouldn't be inspired to cook for a man if it wasn't for my sisters...

Lizzie said...

You did help jump start a school in the Dominican Republic. You tutored people for their cbest exam. Teach how to be a teacher.

Lizzie said...

You also pack a mean grocery bag.

Jenny said...

Thanks, girls.

Love you...

brooke said...

what about barista lessons? you are an EXCELLENT barista!

brooke said...

OR...sewing lessons, baking lessons, home interior design classes, jessica mcclintock fashion and design? the possibilities are endless!

~nanashouse~ said...

Jen,
Piddling around is the only way to find out what we like and what we don't. I'm with Brooke on all her ideas!

Elizabeth said...

Don't feel the NEED to join a co-op right away...you have quite a bit of social interaction going on already! On the other hand, I love our co-op, and it keeps the nay-sayers off of my back!
Blessings & Peace, EJT